The practice was founded after the First World War by Dr Pitt Taylor who was joined by Dr Dorothy Potts in 1939.
Dr Potts saw the practice through the war period and the difficult early days of the National Health Service in 1948. On her retirement in 1959 Drs John and Irene Cox were appointed and were joined by their nephew, Dr Joe Cox in 1962.Government reforms in 1966 favoured larger group practices and the partners joined colleagues at Ansdell Road. This union was unsuccessful and so Dr Joe Cox began a new phase of the practice with his wife Dr Barbara Cox in April 1970. A rapid expansion in numbers of patients followed and in 1977 Dr Krishna Gupta joined the practice. For 10 years the practice developed in the converted farmhouse but again Government changes were imminent and in 1986 it was decided to build our current purpose-built premises. Dr Mark Preskey joined the practice in 1987 and the site at 178 Waterloo Road developed. The Medical Centre was opened in May 1989.
The imposition of the 1990 Contract saw a new approach to patient care. Targets for cervical smears and immunisations had to be met and health promotion activities began to run in conjunction with the traditional surgeries. The practice continued to grow and in 1992 Dr John Calvert joined as the fifth partner. Since 1995 Dr Joe Cox, Dr Barbara Cox and Dr Krishna Gupta have retired from the practice to be succeeded by Dr Allison Rees, Dr Mike Butler, Dr Steve Thompson and Dr Laura Barker. Dr Allison Rees Left the practice in April 2017.
We are supported by a highly motivated team of nurses and administrative staff - directed by our practice manager. We also have a greatly experienced range of health authority attached staff comprising district nurses, health visitors and health care assistants who work closely alongside us to provide the best possible integrated approach to patient care.